WE CARE SOLAR promotes safe motherhood and reduces maternal mortality in developing regions by providing health workers with reliable lighting, blood bank refrigeration and mobile communication using solar electricity.
We originally designed a photovoltaic system to power lighting, medical equipment, a blood bank refrigerator, and communication equipment in a major municipal hospital in Northern Nigeria. We installed this system in early 2009.
Our emergency obstetric PV system powers the following:
- Overhead surgical lighting in areas of critical need such as the operating room and labor and delivery
- Mobile telecommunications between hospital staff and on-call physicians
- Existing on-site surgical equipment that is currently underutilized
- A blood bank refrigerator that utilizes DC electricity
- Battery chargers that power LED headlamps for night duty workers