The African Seed Trade Association arose out of a need to have a regional representative body for the seed industry, which could also serve to promote the development of private seed enterprises.
- To promote the use of improved quality seed,
- To strengthen communication with African seed industries and with the world,
- To facilitate establishment of national seed trade associations in Africa,
- To provide information to members,
- To interact with regional governments and NGO's involved in seed activities in order to promote the interests of the seed industry,
- To promote activities that lead to regulatory harmonization throughout Africa to facilitate movement of seed, and
- To develop a statistical database on African seed production and trade.