Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Where to invest in Africa

I was talking to an old friend of mine a couple days ago about business in Africa. During our short conversation about this subject she asked, "where are the investment opportunities and what sectors should one invest if they had minimal funds." I just realized she was being very serious and said, "there are all kinds of opportunities," but before I gave her anymore answers I suggested she Google Africa Open for Business and watch the video. I told her we can talk more in a few days about where to invest, but she had to watch the video.



You see, we humans are a unique species; we learn better by watching or witnessing something. I called her a couple of days later and she told me she watched the video and she wants to invest in media and the stock market, I replied those are very good markets to invest in right now. My friend then told me how astonished she was that Carol Pineau was able to film and interview all the African business owners. I made her watch Africa Open for Business, because if I told her where to invest without her actually seeing the opportunity she may have not really believed me.

For those reading this, if you are interested in investing your money in Africa these are the sectors I would be focusing on.

1. Health - water purification, generic pharma

2. Media - Africa's has a growing middle class and many are starting to watch African generated content. Nigeria leads the continent for it's films.

3. Energy -Solar energy, Wind power, bio-compost

4. Stock Market - talk to your broker to see if there are any ADR's listed on your home country's stock exchange.

5. Education - there is a lot of money one can make in education, especially for the growing field of information technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are welcomed to leave a message!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...